Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter another state's Marketplace health plan insurance information

How do I answer the step-by-step questions in the State (California) tax portion related to having had market place health insurance through another state?  If the answer is YES to being enrolled in another state's Marketplace plan, then the subsequent only possible answers are (a) Covered California plan, (b) State Medicaid or CHIP plan, (c) Catastrophic plan, or (d) Plan through the Small Business Health Options Program.  (I changed states mid-year, and I had neither of these plans, so it is unclear as to how to proceed at this point).   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should assume that the question in the TurboTax California return applies to health insurance for the time that you were a resident of California. The answer should indeed be no.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Sounds like you had an insurance plan covered at work. Normally you would not have to enter any health insurance information, because the federal government no longer requires health insurance. However, California still fines people for not having any health insurance. If I am right that your insurance was from employment, you would select "no" to marketplace health insurance. You had private health insurance.

Zoltanb, thank you for your answer.  Actually, the situation was that I purchased private health insurance (not employer provided) while a California resident, then after I changed states mid-year, I found out I was eligible for that state's Marketplace health plan, which I did use for the remainder of 2021.   Nevertheless, am I to understand that the question within TurboTax California pertains to just the California portion of my residency and, therefore, the answer should indeed be "No"?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should assume that the question in the TurboTax California return applies to health insurance for the time that you were a resident of California. The answer should indeed be no.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies