Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

4-Speed
Returning Member

How To Determine Cost Basis on stock options issued before 2000 when part of the stock was sold in 2023

My old employer sold stock in August, 2023 that was originally part of an option granted to me on 4/9/1998 with an option price of $17.3437/share.  This 1998 option was exercised in a reload grant on 1/3/2001 at an exercise price of $31.875/share.  The 1099-B issued from ComputerShare on the August, 2023 share does not report a cost basis, only the number of shares sold, the sale price/share, and the  proceeds for each of the individual stock sales that made up the August, 2023 sale.  When I entered each of these individual sales into TurboTax Premier, it asks for the "Date options were granted" (4/9/1998), "Exercise Price per share", and "Number of Shares Sold" for each transaction.  My question is in regards to what to enter for the Exercise Price/Share?  

Since there is no information in the 1099-B to tie directly back to the original grant from 1998, I assume that I can keep a spreadsheet of the stock sold  in 2023 (only part of the original option shares were sold) and start using FIFI to apply this and any future stock sales to this option until all of the stock finally sells in future years.   Is this appropriate?  Also, do I enter the Exercise price as $31.875/share?  If so, this would yield a negative cost basis since the August, 2023 sell price was $30/share.  I should also note that this stock split at least twice over the years between the time that I reloaded the option in 2001 and the sale in 2023.  

Looking back at my W-2 from 2001, there was a value of all options exercised (4 total) for 2001, but I cannot reconcile the $ reported on my W-2 with the total of all of exercise prices for each of the 4 options exercised that year. 

Since the 2023 sale was the first involving any of these 4 options, I want to make sure I'm reporting the correct basis since this will come up again in future years when I finish selling the stock  from these options. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

How To Determine Cost Basis on stock options issued before 2000 when part of the stock was sold in 2023

The exercise price is correct - to start with.  But two stock splits means that you have 4 times as many shares and you didn't pay any extra for them.  

So the first split cut the exercise price in half and the second split half again.  The current exercise price per share is $7.969.  

@4-Speed 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies