Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to deduct rents I distribute to the landlord?

I manage a property for my cousin. When I receive rent from the tenant, I deduct my fee and distribute the remaining to my cousin. I received a 1099-MISC for all the rents and I can include them in the business income, but where in Turbo tax can I report the rents that I have distributed to my cousin? Is it under "Other Common Business Expenses" or somewhere else?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, whichever expenses category you use, be sure to use the same one year after year. 

To clarify, if you collect the rent, who issues you the 1099-MISC? 

It seems like you would issue the 1099-MISC to your cousin. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I receive the rent from the government because it's a Section 8 house. My cousin is outside the country, so I was the one that provided my W9 to the government. I assume I would be the one receiving a 1099MISC from the government and I would need to report that income on my tax, but I only kept a very small portion so need to find a place to deduct the rents I distributed.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can report the amount sent to the actual owner as a miscellaneous business expense using a custom category description. To meet the IRS requirements, you should create and send Form 1099-MISC to your cousin for the funds he received, even though he may not file a US tax return.

To enter this expense in TurboTax:

1. Go to the Business Income section.
  2. Choose the business you need to work on. Continue to the Business Summary page.
  3. Scroll down to Business Expenses.
  4. Click Start/Update beside Other Common Business Expenses.
  5. Scroll to the bottom and click Start/Update beside Other Miscellaneous Expenses.
  6. On the page "Any Miscellaneous Expenses?" enter the funds paid to the owner with a custom description.
  7. Continue to the end to save your entries.

Note: If you enter a general business expense in the wrong category, it will not affect your taxes. Just be sure you don't enter the same expense twice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I'll do that!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies