Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjbrandenberger
Returning Member

How to change from Standard to Itemized Deduction on AR state return?

One brief prompt asked if I wanted to take the Standard or Itemized Deduction for AR. It did not show amounts (like the Federal) and I incorrectly selected Standard for Arkansas. After reviewing the AR3 I believe Itemized would be better. How do I go back and change to Itemized Deduction on the AR state return? (All the data is entered and Standard was selected for Federal. Arkansas allows taxpayers to choose between the two.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You'll need to delete and re-enter your Arkansas information. To do this in TurboTax Online: 

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. Select the dropdown on the right side of the State Taxes box, then select StartContinue, Edit or Review/Edit
  3. If the You've already got a head start on state taxes screen appears, select Let's get started.  Otherwise, in the left pane, select Prepare State
  4. Proceed through the screens until you come to the Status of your state returns screen
  5. Select the trashcan to the right of Arkansas.  On the popup screen, confirm your deletion
  6. Back on the Status of your state returns screen, select + Add another State, and select Arkansas
  7. Proceed through the Arkansas screens, making any entries necessary
  8. On the Ready to Review Your State Return screen, select Continue
  9. On the Let's make sure everything is accurate screen, select Fix Return
  10. Proceed through any screens, making any corrections or updates necessary, until you get to the Check This Entry screen with Standard and Itemized Deduction options.  Select the correct option

See the screenshot below. 

If you're using the Desktop version of TurboTax, the process will be similar.

jjbrandenberger
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply. I am using the desktop version of Premier and those options are not available. I am not even able to locate a Check Entry screen. There is also not a trash can next to Arkansas in the state return section. The only thing I can do there is add other states. How do I make this change in this version of the software? Thank yoU!

jjbrandenberger
Returning Member

I figured it out! You have to go to Forms > Info Worksheet and make the selection there. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies