Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to avoid "revoking" foreign earned income exclusion in a year with no foreign earned income?

Hello,

From 2009-21, I took the foreign earned income every year and maintained my bona fide residence abroad.

In 2022, I did not have foreign earned income due to a period of unemployment but I maintained my bona fide residence abroad (I am a dual citizen).

In 2023, I am working again (with same bona fide residence abroad) and I would like to take the foreign earned income exclusion on next year's tax return.

In the instructions for form 2555, the IRS has this note: "Note. It is not necessary to affirmatively revoke your choice if you don’t have any foreign earned income."

Does this mean the IRS will revoke the choice even if I do not affirmatively revoke it? Should I still file form 2555 with values of "0" for 2022 to make it clear I do not want to revoke?

Any advice appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

How to avoid "revoking" foreign earned income exclusion in a year with no foreign earned income?

@MonsieurMD1 ,  you are filing US tax return as a citizen of the USA, being taxed on your world income and  for US purposes having a tax home  in a country other than USA   ( which country ? ). 

As you quote , page 2 of the instructions for form 2555, does  stipulate (a) once you elect to file  use  Foreign Earned Income exclusion,, that election remains valid for all future years;  (b)   to revoke this election you have to actively seek a change by attaching a note  declaring your new choice to ameliorate  double taxation  ( foreign tax credit or deduction ).; (c)  once you revoke  your election to use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you cannot change back for the next five consecutive years and without IRS approval.

For your particular case , as per the  statements in your  note , your  election  to use  FEIE, remains valid, even if  for the year  you had no foreign income.  

However, if you actually had zero world income for the year , there may be  questions as to how you survived  that whole year.  Just have your records  to prove that  you had no taxable income for the whole year of 2022.

Is there more one fo us can do for you ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Duplicate

@pk ?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@MonsieurMD1 ,  you are filing US tax return as a citizen of the USA, being taxed on your world income and  for US purposes having a tax home  in a country other than USA   ( which country ? ). 

As you quote , page 2 of the instructions for form 2555, does  stipulate (a) once you elect to file  use  Foreign Earned Income exclusion,, that election remains valid for all future years;  (b)   to revoke this election you have to actively seek a change by attaching a note  declaring your new choice to ameliorate  double taxation  ( foreign tax credit or deduction ).; (c)  once you revoke  your election to use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you cannot change back for the next five consecutive years and without IRS approval.

For your particular case , as per the  statements in your  note , your  election  to use  FEIE, remains valid, even if  for the year  you had no foreign income.  

However, if you actually had zero world income for the year , there may be  questions as to how you survived  that whole year.  Just have your records  to prove that  you had no taxable income for the whole year of 2022.

Is there more one fo us can do for you ?

Thank you, that helps a lot

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies