Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Attach Statement to Form 1041

I am completing Form 1041 for an Estate using TurboTax Business and need to attach a Statement as required by Other Information Question 8, to explain why the Decedent's Estate was open for more than 2 years. The Executrix is disabled and needed time to prepare the house for sale. I have not gotten to the point of submitting the return, and wondered if I will be prompted to attach the Statement. Also, would Word doc or PDF be better?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Turbotax has no provision for attaching an external document. you'll need to mail the return. 

Thanks. That's not great. What happens if i e-file but mail the statement?

@LK2023 wrote:

Thanks. That's not great. What happens if i e-file but mail the statement?

The statement may very well never get connected with the e-filed return so you should mail the entire return together with the statement.

Question 8 also directs you to attach the statement to your return.

Okay, thanks. I really wanted to e-file, and other programs (e.g., TaxAct) enable this feature. Thanks for the info.

If I do mail the Federal 1041, can I still e-file the NJ 1041? I don't think the NJ form asks for any statements or explanations. 

Also, can I still obtain Audit Defense if I mail the return?

Thanks.

Hi - I didn't get a response the my last follow up:

If I am required to mail the Federal 1041, can I still e-file the NJ 1041?

Also, can I still obtain Audit Defense if I mail the return?

I'm not sure about the audit defense product, but the web site is at the link below.

https://intuit.taxaudit.com/

@LK2023 wrote:

If I am required to mail the Federal 1041, can I still e-file the NJ 1041?

You might have to check with Support to verify, but I don't believe you can e-file the state return without e-filing the federal return.

Okay, thank you very much for the reply.

I posted this question elsewhere but it really belongs here, I think?

So I've been advised here that I must paper file the Federal Form 1041 in order to Attach a Statement explaining why the Estate was open for more than 2 years, and I must also paper file the NJ 1041 as well.

If I have to paper file the Federal 1041 and NJ 1041, presumably it will take the IRS a while to process these.

So must I also paper file the corresponding personal Federal 1040 and NJ 1040 for the Beneficiary to whom the Estate income was distributed because the K-1 and NJ K-1 will take a while to be processed by the IRS?

Or can I e-file the 1040s, even though the 1041s (including K-1 and NJ K-1) were mailed?

Thank you.

You can go ahead and e-file the 1040s.

Thank you

ZChefDan1

Why doesn't Intuit include a feature in TurboTax Business that would allow users to attach a statement with the 1041?  It would save many people, including me, the hassle of printing and mailing a 1041 simply to add a statement explaining why the estate has been open more than 2 years.  TurboTax Business certainly isn't inexpensive software.  Come on Intuit, allow me to e-file!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The way e-filing works is that the IRS or the state defines an XML schema which lists the mandatory and optional tags and their data that make up a valid data set for a tax return. When TurboTax is finished running, it has created a data set in this format. Note that there are no forms in this data set, just tags (think: <xml>).

So in order for TurboTax to be about to add the equivalent of a paper document to a tax return, the IRS must create the ability to accept it on their end, so TurboTax can create it on our end.

It's not just up to TurboTax...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies