mommydeprincesas

How to answer the pay more than half the cost to keep your home in 2018 when bills were equal?

We have two daughters, not married and I am claiming both girls

mommydeprincesas

We live together

To file as head of household, you must claim at least one qualifying child dependent and pay more than half the household expenses.  It only has to be $1 more than half, and if it is close and you both agree which one paid more, I doubt the IRS will seriously question it.  

If you both paid exactly half down to the penny and you don’t have any reasonable way to agree on who paid more, then neither parent can file as head of household.