carderara4

How much does my child have to make before she has to file federal and state (AZ) taxes? She is 16 years old. I claim her as a dependent.

MinhT1

Your dependent daughter is required to file her own tax return if she earned more than $12,200 in wages or more than $400 in self-employment income (reported on form 1099-MISC).

However, even if she earns less than $12,200 in wages but has tax withheld (on her form W-2), she should file a tax return to get a refund of tax withheld. She must indicate on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

MinhT1