Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

How important is for Green Card holder living abroad to state I'm living abroad on tax return vs. CA state?

@yoshl , where is your tax home ?  Does that country tax your Social Security and the US sourced dividends etc. ?

The fact that you have Medicare B contribution taken out , have Kaiser Permanente as your insurer and medical service provider,  and  passive income from USA, I think murky the water  --- you appear to have  closer connection to California.  You may end up having to file a California  Non-Resident   return  especially if the Social Security  is apid into a bank in the USA that you operate from your host country.

Please tell me more  about  all your  connections to the state of CA

pk 

How important is for Green Card holder living abroad to state I'm living abroad on tax return vs. CA state?

As I mentioned in a earlier reply, I'm essentially taking a break from being in the U.S. with the green card reentry permit. I must keep Medicare because otherwise the penalties when I return is enormous. I have insurance in my home country as well. Even if I file CA taxes, I wouldn't owe anything. What is the worst case scenario if I don't file? I can't file using Turbo Tax anymore correct? @pk 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies