turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How i can change my status if i was filled the 1040 single and he turned on head household ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How i can change my status if i was filled the 1040 single and he turned on head household ?

@reyedwins060297 - need more details.....what is the story here? 

1) are you two married
2) is there a child involved? are you two the parents of the child? who is the child living with? 

3) if you two are not married, are you living together.  if yes, who pays more than 50% of the household expenses? 

4) what status do you want to change to and why?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not clear who "he" is.

What do you mean when you say he "turned on" head of household. Do you mean that he filed his tax return as head of household?

If you and "he" live in the same household, you cannot both file as head of household. Only the one who paid more than half the cost of keeping up the home can file as head of household. If you are not married, the other person has to file as single.

@rjs - all assumes the "he" and "she" are the parents of the child.....(or if there is even a child - not clear from what we've been told so far)

as the two qualifiying requirements to file HOH are:

1) the adult must provide >50% of the expenses of running the household, and agreed only "he" or "she" can meet this requirement- can't be both

2)  the adult must have a qualifying child.  Not clear whether 'he' is the father of this child, 

could be that neither can claim HOH, which is why I asked the questions on the earlier post.

a) if 'she' claims the child but provides less than 50% of the household expenses, she cannot claim HOH, because she fails the greater than 50% household expense test

b) if 'he' claims the child, but is not the father, even though he provides more than 50% of the household expenses, he cannot claim HOH as the child would not meet the requirements of a "qualifying child" 

let's see if we get more to the story.....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies