Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I transfer my 2017 taxes done on Turbo Tax Online onto the Turbo Tax Deluxe CD I purchased this year to use for 2018?

I am not doing my taxes online this year.  I purchased a Turbo Tax Deluxe CD and downloaded it onto my laptop.  To save a lot of time I am wondering why I can't find my 2017 taxes since they were done on Turbo Tax too.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I transfer my 2017 taxes done on Turbo Tax Online onto the Turbo Tax Deluxe CD I purchased this year to use for 2018?

If you don't have the .tax2017 file already on your computer saved from last year, then you will want to use this workaround:
  1. Go to TurboTax and start a 2018 Online return using the same login you used last year.  Use the account recovery if you cannot remember your login information.  Use the headstart feature to "jumpstart" your 2018 return transfer your 2017 data over.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left-hand side of your screen, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Save your return to your computer.  This will save a .tax2018 file to your computer
Now, open the .tax2018 file (which contains the transferred 2017 info) in TurboTax on your desktop (after you have installed the software.

1. Open your TurboTax 2018 program on your desktop.
  2. From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
  3. Browse to where you saved the .tax2018 file, and then click Open.
  4. You should now have a 2018 return started on your desktop that contains all the previously transferred information from 2017

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you don't have the .tax2017 file already on your computer saved from last year, then you will want to use this workaround:
  1. Go to TurboTax and start a 2018 Online return using the same login you used last year.  Use the account recovery if you cannot remember your login information.  Use the headstart feature to "jumpstart" your 2018 return transfer your 2017 data over.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left-hand side of your screen, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Save your return to your computer.  This will save a .tax2018 file to your computer
Now, open the .tax2018 file (which contains the transferred 2017 info) in TurboTax on your desktop (after you have installed the software.

1. Open your TurboTax 2018 program on your desktop.
  2. From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
  3. Browse to where you saved the .tax2018 file, and then click Open.
  4. You should now have a 2018 return started on your desktop that contains all the previously transferred information from 2017
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies