Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I see what amount of my filing married joint return is mine and what is my spouse?

My spouse owes delinquent child support so I want to know how much of our federal return is mine and how much is his?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

How do I see what amount of my filing married joint return is mine and what is my spouse?

There is not a straightforward and simple way to do that. 

Creating a Married Filing Separately return for one of you in an online account that you will not file would give an estimate of how the refund might be split.  However, if certain credits are involved, then the answer will not be an accurate one since there are some restrictions with claiming credits when using Married Filing Separately.

If you are using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, there is a “what-if” worksheet that can be used to compare Married Filing Joint and Married Filing Separately, but again the answers would not be exactly what you are looking for. 

One thing that you may consider doing is to file an Injured Spouse form with your return.  The purpose of this form is to protect your share of the refund on a joint return when one spouse has a previous debt that would seize a tax refund.  It will take longer for the IRS to process the tax return, but only the refund attributed to the person who owes the debt would be used to pay the debt.  The Injured Spouse form itself will allocate the income and deduction items between the two parties, but it does not fully show the division of the refund because certain credits must be allocated by the IRS when they process the return.

See the information below for more details about the Injured Spouse form as well as the “what-if” worksheet.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3326788

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4775330

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies