Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I resolve this error a Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles from a K-1

This is a little odd, but yesterday I was working on taxes and had no errors.  I was getting ready to print taxes this morning, and now I have an error.

I have a $ 711 loss from Section 1256 contracts and straddles sales from a K-1.  It transfers to that section, but now it is asking a question on Form 6781 that I don't know how to answer.

I checked Box D.  The K-1 reports a Box 11 value of -711 and a ZZ code of -82.

How do I determine the amount of loss to be carried back?

UNG_K1.png

sec_1256_question.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

what's 11ZZ?  that could be anything

as for 1256 loss carryback, there is no requirement to c/b the loss that's for the taxpayer to decide provided they qualify. the loss c/b may be limited and is first carried back to the 3rd prior year

form 6781 instructions

The amount you can carry back to any prior year is limited to the smaller of:
• The gain, if any, that you would report on line 16 of Schedule D (Form 1040) for that carryback year if only gains and losses from section 1256 contracts were taken into account; or
• The gain, if any, reported on line 16 of Schedule D (Form 1040) for that carryback year.
The amounts just described are figured prior to any carryback from the loss year. Also, the carryback is allowed only to the extent it doesn’t increase or produce a net operating loss for the carryback year. The loss is carried to the earliest year first.

Line 13, Code ZZ:  Other deductions – Trader expenses. For individuals, combine the values from lines 11zz and 13zz to determine whether you have a nonpassive income or loss. Reported on Schedule E, Line 28, (i) or (k).

My Box 1, 2, and 3 income was $ 0.  

11zz has nothing to do with section 1256 c/b 

[MODS] there's a bug in Turbotax desktop. In step-mode, there is no subscreen/dropdown to detail where the amount on line 11ZZ on a partnership K-1 goes. The only place you find out there's a problem is in final review 

for OP the 11ZZ amount would need to be entered on line1 of the subschedule for the amount.  OP, if you're using a desktop version you can go into forms mode, then to the k-1, and finally on line 11 click on the quickzoom link. to enter  11ZZ on line 1 of subschedule. decription - as given trader expenses.

@Mike9241 I think I'm more confused that when I started.  

My K-1 instructions tell me to combine the value for line 11zz (-82) with line 13zz (5).  Since Line 11zz is Other income and Line 13zz is Other Deductions, is the result -87 or -82?

Would the carryback year be 2020?  What is that line is negative?  I'm not sure how carryback works.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies