Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report my health insurance for Massachusetts if for part of the year I had out-of-state insurance?

I am a new MA resident who moved from TX in April of 2022.  From January 2022 to June 2022, I had health insurance through my Texas employer; from July 2022 to December 2022 my insurance was through Massachusetts.  My 1099-HC shows that I met MCC from July - December; I do not have a 1099-HC from my insurance for the first half of the year.  My insurance card from Texas does not have an FID number which is asked on the TurboTax form.

Additionally, review of Massachusetts state tax code seems to indicate that I would only need to be covered from July onward if I established residency in April.  However, when I attempt to say I only met MCC for part of the year, my residency start date is not asked, and I am told I will be assessed a penalty.

How should I report my insurance information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

How do I report my health insurance for Massachusetts if for part of the year I had out-of-state insurance?

You are correct that you only need to meet the Massachusetts MCC from July- in TurboTax you can indicate you were covered all year because you were covered all year for the time you were required to be covered in Massachusetts- it is a limitation in TurboTax for people who were not full year Massachusetts residents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies