Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

leblanc-richard

How do I report less than 3 month gap in health care coverage (which is exempt from penalty under Obamacare) in turbo tax?

LindaA

During the Health Insurance interview, indicate that you had coverage for part of the year. Then you'll be able to select the months you were covered. Any month you had coverage for at least one day counts as a whole month.

To report your part-year health insurance coverage:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click the Federal Taxes tab, then click Health Insurance.
  • TurboTax prompts Did you have health insurance coverage in 2016? Select I had it for part of 2016 and click Continue. (Click the first screenshot below to enlarge it for reference.) (Note: If more than one person is on your tax return, select I'll pick who had it and which months.)
  • TurboTax prompts Which months did you have health insurance in 2016? Select the months that you had coverage and click Continue. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.) (Again, if more than one person is on your tax return, you'll have to do this for each person.)
  • Continue answering the health insurance questions to complete this section of the interview.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~