Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report Independent Contractor income through Market Force Information LLC? I wont get a 1099 form from them but am unsure how to file income made with their EIN

Market Force Information LLC has an EIN number and I wont get a form since my pre purchase reimbursement amount earned is less than $600

I do not know how to report my income from this job on my taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

How do I report Independent Contractor income through Market Force Information LLC? I wont get a 1099 form from them but am unsure how to file income made with their EIN

Since you describe this activity as being an "Independent Contractor", you should report the income as sell employment.

You do not need a 1099. 

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab 

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

- Business Items

- Business Income & Expenses (Sch C)

You will have to pay Self employment tax (about 14.1%) in addition to income tax.  "Self employment tax" (SET) is how you pay social security & Medicare tax, on earned income when none was withheld. 

If this was a one time gig, you may be able to avoid SET by reporting it as "other income".  See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-1099-nec/01/2217598#M797656

It was not a one time gig, it was mystery shopping gigs on and off throughout the year based on the accepted assignment from Market Force, usually requiring a purchase made.

Do I report only what I ‘actually’ got paid by them? Or do I report the amount that would include what I got back for purchase-reimbursements  which is higher?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Include the purchase reimbursements, since you got to keep the merchandise. Technically, you include the fair market value (FMV) of the merchandise, but that is usually the purchase price. 

The things I purchased and evaluated was the food. The company gave me back the cost of the food, so I report this amount alongside the ‘actual’ pay?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. So I report this amount alongside the ‘actual’ pay?

A.  Simple answer: Yes, you report the reimbursement as income. 

Some would argue  you don't need to report it since it was  reimbursed expenses.  The proper way is to report all income and then deduct your business expenses.  The next question is: is the purchase of these items a business expense.  If you got no personal benefit from the items, then it's a deductible  business expense.  I realize for food that's a wishy washy question. 

So, using a simplified example: you took a taste and threw the rest away; it's a business expense.  You fully consumed the item; it's not a business expense. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies