Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laniganv

How do I report income from a caregiving shared home environment? Not an independent contractor and not taxable income, so I am not certain how to file it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

How do I report income from a caregiving shared home environment? Not an independent contractor and not taxable income, so I am not certain how to file it.

If the income is not taxable it is not entered uunless there is a 1099 issued.

laniganv

But I am still required to report income even if it isn't taxed.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

It depends. Based on the facts and circumstances of your caregiver arrangement and shared living situation, you as a caregiver could have taxable income,  and you could be liable for self-employment tax.

Please see this IRS webpage for examples.

Please see this help article for information on reporting self-employment income in TurboTax. If you are a paid caregiver, and aren't given a W-2 or having taxes withheld from your pay, you are being treated as self-employed.

If, on the other hand, you are caring for a family member, and they occasionally reimburse you to offset their expenses, this would not be taxable to you. This amount can be treated as support provided by your parents for the purpose of determining whether your parents are your dependents.

Please see these IRS FAQs for caregivers for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
laniganv

The IRS website does not address private pay caregivers for aging parents, only reimbursed or payed by an outside source like insurance.

There is a provision for family who are payed caregivers and live in the household as such. We are not considered employees, nor self employed but our own category.  The person is now under guardianship but it came after the fiscal year ended.

I did not receive anything but payment, nothing withheld nor can I locate anything to guide me on where to report non-taxable income, which is the question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies