Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thaenraj

How do I remove my son from my tax filing, as he was added mistakenly, and make room for him to file his taxes before the due date?

I forgot to remove my elder son, who started earning since last year, from our joint filing as our dependent, and the filing was accepted. When my elder son started to file his tax record, it was rejected, and an error was raised: 'The electronic tax return was rejected because a dependent's social security number (SSN) is used on another return.' My son would like to file his tax return before this extended due date (Nov 2023). I appreciate your assistance with this request.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TeriH
Employee Tax Expert

How do I remove my son from my tax filing, as he was added mistakenly, and make room for him to file his taxes before the due date?

Congratulations on the launching of your son.

You'll need to sign into your TurboTax account and start the amended return.  Once you're in you'll head to the Personal Info section and remove him from your return.  Here a great TurboTax article that goes through the details of filing an amended return.  And there's no cost for amended returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Hi thaenraj,

If the return has been filed, your son will need to file by mail. In addition, he may want to include a note in his return that he was claimed by you. Since you have already filed, it is advisable that you prepare an amended return that removes your son from the return. Be mindful that this could cause you to owe additional taxes up to $500. 

It is not clear how old the eldest son is or if he is in college. That being the case,

1. If not in school and over 18, the steps above will be correct.

2. If age18 or less, your return could be correct and your son may pay added taxes due to being a dependent.

Goodluck to you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies