Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how do I remove an invalid 1099-B entry ?

For some reason, the E*Trade data that gets imported (also shows up in the E*Trade consolidated tax info for 2023) contains a capital gains entry from a weird fund I inherited from my folks a few years ago that has a date of 1/9/2024. TurboTax says the date is invalid and requires changing it to a 2023 dates. But this 2024 date is the date of the $3.36 gain 

UNIT VK BUILD AMERICA BONDS 26 12008A609 01/09/24 $3.36

Is there any way to delete this entry from TurboTax ? I have not found any way to deal with this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Final Update

Turns out that I was able to deal with this issue by deleting ALL of the 1099-B entries, using the 1 garbage can delete mechanism, then re-importing the MorganStanley/Etrade account and this time answering the question "Did you purchase all of the stocks?" vs inherited or gifts with a NO. This time, during the import process you are prompted to individually address all 41 stock sale items. So, I was able to delete the 1 entry that was messed up with a date from 2024. (the reason so many is because a couple of the stocks that were sold had been collecting monthly dividends and re-investing them - so selling them all resulted in a large number of 1099-B entries.) 

Anyway, Seems that TurboTax is now happy with the Federal Review, no errors now.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop, you can delete imported items as follows:

1. Open your return.
  2. From the TurboTax File menu, select Remove Imported Data.
  3. Select the item(s) you want to remove and follow the instructions.

Here's more details on How to Update or Delete Imported Data.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply. 

But all I want to do is remove 1 of 5 entries. I don't want to remove all of the imported data. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's possible to delete only the entry you want removed by using the steps below.  Each entry should show a name beside it to help you find the correct one you want to delete.

You'll need to delete this form --------------------. 

• If you're using TurboTax Online software and need to delete a form, click here.
  • If you're using TurboTax CD\Download software and need to delete a form, click here

@RDBusser 

Let me try to be more specific. I am talking about 1 entry out of 5 on the Capital Assets Worksheet that is being complained about during Federal Tax Review.

CapitalAssetsWorksheet.jpg

In the section/process for deleting important data, the lowest resolution I can see to delete is the entire 1099-B associated with this ETrade account.  I don't see any way of just addressing this entry from 2024 that does not belong in my 2023 tax return.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You can probably do that by using the right click and override.  However I want to make you aware of the warranty when overrides are used. See the information in the article below.

@RDBusser 

When going in thru Forms, The Right-Click>Override menu item is disabled. Not sure what I would override it with anyway. It is the date that is being complained about and the date is actually correct, it just occurred in 2024 not 2023.

I was able to get the Override to "work". But deleting the contents of the fields just causes TurboTax Smart Check to complain about the empty fields.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to get things corrected ?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop Home and Business, you want to remove one IRS form 1099-B entry listed at the screen Your investment sales summary.

To remove one entry, follow these steps:

Access the screen by following these steps:

• Across the top of the screen, select Personal.
  • Across the top of the screen, select Personal Income.
  • Select I'll choose what I work on.
  • Scroll down to Investment Income.
  • Select Start/Update to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • At the screen Your investment sales summary, remove the entry by clicking the trashcan delete icon to the right of the entry.
  • Some are reporting that they must move the scroll bar at the bottom to the right to view the icon.

Thanks, But this is not the answer. This would remove all 41 1099-B entries. I only want to remove 1 of them. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Please select only the Delete trashcan to the right of the specific line that you want to remove.

Delete only one entry.  This leaves one entry remaining.

@RDBusser 

Sorry for not being more clear. But in my instance, hitting the trash can you are pointing to will delete 41 sales entries

41_entries.jpg

Final Update

Turns out that I was able to deal with this issue by deleting ALL of the 1099-B entries, using the 1 garbage can delete mechanism, then re-importing the MorganStanley/Etrade account and this time answering the question "Did you purchase all of the stocks?" vs inherited or gifts with a NO. This time, during the import process you are prompted to individually address all 41 stock sale items. So, I was able to delete the 1 entry that was messed up with a date from 2024. (the reason so many is because a couple of the stocks that were sold had been collecting monthly dividends and re-investing them - so selling them all resulted in a large number of 1099-B entries.) 

Anyway, Seems that TurboTax is now happy with the Federal Review, no errors now.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop Home & Business, I am able to view Your investment sales summary.

Edit the line with two sales.

Now I am able to remove one of the two lines by selecting the Delete trashcan icon.

One line remains.

I return to Your investment sales summary and two lines remain but the second line has only one entry, not two.

@RDBusser 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies