Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I handle separate K-1s for an individual converting to a trust under the same social security number?

K-1s have been received to date under an individual's name and social security number (SSN).  In 2023, the name on the account changed to the individual's trust with the same SSN.  It is a revocable living trust.  Filing should be exactly as before when there was no trust, however tax package support created 2 K-1s with 2 account numbers.  Since this is all to go under the single individual's tax filing, should I combine the box values of the 2 and enter it as only 1 K-1 in Turbo Tax?  Otherwise, the history of the first will be "lost" as the Turbo Tax data is transferred from year to year.  Again, the change is NOT to an irrevocable trust that will be filed separately.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

How do I handle separate K-1s for an individual converting to a trust under the same social security number?

Why are you filing K-1s if this is a grantor trust? 

Because, as the grantor, an individual is responsible for paying income taxes on any income the trust assets generate.  The income coming from the partnership came in separate K-1s, one from before the account was in the trust and one after.

M-MTax
Level 10

Yeah, you didn't mention the K-1s were coming from a partnership. You should enter each K-1 separately unless they're somehow being issued from the same partnership.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies