turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get TurboTax to deduct the U.S. Savings Bonds interest I reported on my Federal return, from my State return? My 1099-INT is entered correctly.

Montana does not tax U.S. Savings Bonds interest. The 1099-INT entry I made correctly puts the bond interest in Box 3; I can see it on the TurboTax 1099-INT worksheet. When I checked my Montana Tax Form it shows the same amount of taxable interest as my Federal return. Thank you for your help. 🤞
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How do I get TurboTax to deduct the U.S. Savings Bonds interest I reported on my Federal return, from my State return? My 1099-INT is entered correctly.

Since you appear to have entered this income correctly in TurboTax, the exclusion of this income is almost surely reflected on your return -- you may just be looking in the wrong place.

The income portion of Montana's Form 2 starts with your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) from your federal return, and includes your U.S Savings Bonds interest.  See lines 1 through 11 of Form 2. 

However, state subtractions from your federal AGI are claimed on the Montana Subtractions Schedule on page 5 of Form 2, and are then transferred to line 13 of Form 2. 

So, while your interest is included early in the math part of the Montana return, it's subtracted out later in the return.

Thank you so much! I see an amount under subtractions that must include it plus something else, probably from one of my other brokerages. I’ll check out that number and I’m sure my State return is complete. What a relief plus I am sure this will answer the same question for other people. 👍🏼

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies