Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

warnermew
Returning Member

How do I get out of underpayment HELL ?

I hate the 2210 form and worksheet.

It asks for stuff that even God doesn't know.

All I want to know is .. what is the "UNCLE" setting that lets me file this return ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I get out of underpayment HELL ?

your choices on the 2210

at the top check Box C to let the iRS compute the penalties and bill you

or in PART II

A) check box A or B if you request a full or partial waiver

Waiver of Penalty
If you have an underpayment, all or part of the penalty for that underpayment will be waived if the IRS determines that:
• In 2022 or 2023, you retired after reaching age 62 or became disabled, and your underpayment was due to reasonable cause (and not willful neglect); or
• The underpayment was due to a casualty, disaster, or other unusual circumstance, and it would be inequitable to impose the penalty. For federally declared disaster areas, see Federally declared disaster, later.
To request any of the above waivers, do the following.
a. If you checked box A, complete only page 1 of Form 2210 and attach it to your tax return (you aren't required to figure the amount of penalty to be waived).
b. If you checked box B, complete Form 2210 through line 18 without regard to the waiver. Enter the amount you want waived in parentheses on the dotted line next to line 19. Subtract this amount from the total penalty you figured without regard to the waiver, and enter the result on line 19.
2. Attach Form 2210 and a statement to your return explaining the reasons you were unable to meet the estimated tax requirements and the time period for which you are requesting a waiver.
3. If you’re requesting a waiver due to retirement or disability, attach documentation that shows your retirement date (and your age on that date) or the date you became disabled.
4. If you’re requesting a waiver due to a casualty, disaster (other than a federally declared disaster, as discussed next), or other unusual circumstance, attach documentation such as copies of police and insurance company reports.
The IRS will review the information you provide and decide whether to grant your request for a waiver

B) check Box C and use the Annualized Income Installment Method to compute your penalties

C) Check Box D and enter your actual withholding for each period. 

D) Check Box E if that applies

note for B,C or D you must compute your penalty and include form 2210

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies