Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get back to the page where dependents are distributed between a couple filing jointly? They say to plug the numbers in differently to see if it changes...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

How do I get back to the page where dependents are distributed between a couple filing jointly? They say to plug the numbers in differently to see if it changes...

All changes for dependents start in the "MY Info" section of the return. 

Go Tax Home then My Info

Scroll through the information until you get to the dependent you want to address

Follow the interview questions.

If this does not work, please come back to this page for more assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have both dependents listed correctly in the "my info" section. Somewhere in the deductions or credits section there was a page where dependents/exemptions are distributed between the spouses. You can choose 1 and 1 or 2 and 0, etc. It says to change these numbers around to see how it affects your return. I have tried clicking through but cannot find that page again to see if the numbers adjust. 

TomD8
Level 15

You don't separate dependents on a joint tax return. Are you perhaps asking about your Form W-4? https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

If so, you will find Form W-4 in the "Other Tax Situations" section of TurboTax under Other Tax Forms.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

why are you doing this? if all dependents are reported on a joint return there is no mine/theirs unless you are trying to do an injured spouse or innocent spouse relief.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies