Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file my tipouts as a Bartender?

I am a server/bartender at Red Robin, and we are required to claim 100% of the tips we receive from guests as part of our income.

However, we are also required to give a percentage of the tips we receive to our support staff (IE. Busser, Food Expo, bartender), which has not been reflected on my tax forms.

I have records of how much I've paid out and to who, over the 2016 tax period.

I only took home about 88% of the tips I was required to claim.

So my question is: How do I make sure I am not paying taxes on that other 12% of tips I was required to claim as income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If your employer was provided the information for the tip-splitting, how much to each person and their name, then those amounts should be on the W2 of the recipient.  You can check with your employer and request a corrected W2 if you are confident you are being taxed on other employees' tips.

For 2017, I have included a link here for you to use to report the tips you received and the amount given to others every day/month.  You can use them daily and then provide a  monthly/weekly total, as required by your employer.

That being said, if you find that you are actually paying tax on tips you did not receive, a deduction for job expenses would be used if you can itemize deductions.  Job expenses fall into a category where the combined total of miscellaneous expenses must be greater than 2% of your adjusted gross income.  The excess can be added to other itemized deductions.  I have provided a quick checklist for you to review.  

I also attached a copy of the standard deduction amounts for most people based on filing status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If your employer was provided the information for the tip-splitting, how much to each person and their name, then those amounts should be on the W2 of the recipient.  You can check with your employer and request a corrected W2 if you are confident you are being taxed on other employees' tips.

For 2017, I have included a link here for you to use to report the tips you received and the amount given to others every day/month.  You can use them daily and then provide a  monthly/weekly total, as required by your employer.

That being said, if you find that you are actually paying tax on tips you did not receive, a deduction for job expenses would be used if you can itemize deductions.  Job expenses fall into a category where the combined total of miscellaneous expenses must be greater than 2% of your adjusted gross income.  The excess can be added to other itemized deductions.  I have provided a quick checklist for you to review.  

I also attached a copy of the standard deduction amounts for most people based on filing status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies