turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbmj

How do I file my daughter's 1099-Int in TT? She is 18 and a college student with no other income. 1099-Int Box 1 is $11.22. My wife and I file a joint return.

All of our 1099-Int's are from USAA. I was able to  import all others except hers and when I tried to manually import into TT, it only allows inputs for me, my wife or both of us. Does my daughter need to report this and,  if so, is it a separate return.  She has no other income except the 1099.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I file my daughter's 1099-Int in TT? She is 18 and a college student with no other income. 1099-Int Box 1 is $11.22. My wife and I file a joint return.

If that 1099-INT is her only income, it should NOT be filed at all as she is below her filing threshold as a dependent. Interest is one of the few kinds of children's income that *may* be reported on a parent's return, but I suspect you're being blocked because she's over 14 (and even if she was under 14 it's not advisable as she made too little to be subject to "kiddie tax" rates).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If that 1099-INT is her only income, it should NOT be filed at all as she is below her filing threshold as a dependent. Interest is one of the few kinds of children's income that *may* be reported on a parent's return, but I suspect you're being blocked because she's over 14 (and even if she was under 14 it's not advisable as she made too little to be subject to "kiddie tax" rates).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies