Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmm
Level 1

How do I file Form 8832 when e-filing my return? Without paper filing.

Is it possible to e-file with Turbotax and file Form 8832? Which version of Turbotax?

This is the initial filing of Form 8832, a foreign disregarded entity, and I am not looking for advice as to whether to file. There is no separate US corporate tax filing for the business. I want to file my individual return electronically and to avoid filing a paper return. I'd prefer not to switch to TaxAct just for this.

I can't seem to find the answer when searching through TurboTax forums and there's nothing in Turbotax Premier about it. Does Turbotax Self Employed or Turbotax Business handle e-file of Form 8832?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

you can e-file your return and then once accepted use form 8453 to mail in forms 8832 and 8858. Turbotax  supports preparation of the 8453 but it must be printed out and mailed with the checked forms/schedules attached. if you can't find it you can fill it out by hand and check the boxes. here's a link to the form.https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf 

read the filing instuctions on the form becuase there is a deadline for submitting them once your return is accepted. Turbotax does support the preparation of 8332 but the form filed must be an original - signed by the custodial parent - so there's no way to e-file it 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Turbotax Business handles e-file of Form 8832.

mmm
Level 1

Thank you for your reply. TurboTax Business does not file individual 1040 though, does it? I want to e-file my individual 1040 and attach the Form 8832. I have no separate corporate tax return filing in the US since it's a disregarded entity.

There are two separate filings of Form 8832: one is the declaration, the other is the requirement to attach it to the tax return (individual in the case of a disregarded entity, or corporate tax return if not).

mmm
Level 1

Alternatively, do any of the TurboTax versions allow attaching supporting documentation when e-filing? That would enable me to attach the Form 8832 copy.

[removed]

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

At this time, Turbo Tax does not allow returns with attachments to be efiled.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mmm
Level 1

For others searching for this, it looks like one of my replies was censored, likely for mentioning competing tax software.

To summarize, TurboTax's main competitor does support attaching forms when filing electronically. Unfortunately, neither TurboTax nor its main competitor support filling in the information for Form 8832 or 8858. At least with the other tax software it's possible to workaround without printing and filing a paper return.

The other tax software is inferior to TurboTax, so I'm stuck choosing from a 200 page paper return with TurboTax or having to manually input dozens of 1099-B that fail to import in the other tax software.

Dear TurboTax Product Managers, please properly support the 9 million or so U.S. expats properly. Thank you.

you can e-file your return and then once accepted use form 8453 to mail in forms 8832 and 8858. Turbotax  supports preparation of the 8453 but it must be printed out and mailed with the checked forms/schedules attached. if you can't find it you can fill it out by hand and check the boxes. here's a link to the form.https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf 

read the filing instuctions on the form becuase there is a deadline for submitting them once your return is accepted. Turbotax does support the preparation of 8332 but the form filed must be an original - signed by the custodial parent - so there's no way to e-file it 

mmm
Level 1

Mike9241 thank you for the workaround.

It's still unfortunate that TurboTax does not allow digital attachments to e-file returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies