Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file for my daughter who passed in December 2023

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

How do I file for my daughter who passed in December 2023

You only have to file a tax return if your daughter meets the filing requirements.  If your daughter was married, her surviving spouse can file if there is no executor of her estate.  If she wasn't married, as a survivor of the deceased, you can file her tax return and claim her refund.

Review the IRS website Fact Sheet Who needs to file a tax return to determine if you need to file a federal tax return for your daughter.

You will file her taxes on the same form that would have been used if she were alive, but Deceased will be written at the top. Report all income up to the date of death and claim the deductions and credits that she would have been eligible for. You will sign the return and note that you are signing on behalf of the decedent. If there is a refund, you will need to file Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer with the tax return.

For more information, refer to the TurboTax articles Death in the Family, Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?, and Can I file Form 1310 in TurboTax?

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss.

You will use the taxpayer's SSN, not yours when you file taxes for a deceased taxpayer.  For more information, refer to the TurboTax article regarding filing a final tax return and the IRS article File the Final Income Tax Returns of a Deceased Person.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies