Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file a payment my employer made to pay off my student loans using a 1099-NEC under the CARES Act as tax-free and not as income that I owe taxes on?

The payment was to pay off my student loan, but was paid as a 1099-NEC. Is there another form I need to fill out to process this as a student loan payoff?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How do I file a payment my employer made to pay off my student loans using a 1099-NEC under the CARES Act as tax-free and not as income that I owe taxes on?

That form reports self-employment - any income on that form is not only taxable for ordinary income taxes - it will include self-employment taxes as well.   When you enter the form, there is a box you can mark to indicate it is not self-employment, but it will usually generate an IRS inquiry.   Even if you mark that box, the income will still be taxable for ordinary income.   If you feel you received the form in error (the IRS also got a copy), you need to get a corrected form from the issuer.   

How to enter a 1099-NEC.   If the amount is not self-employment, mark the associated box; see below.  

Does getting a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC mean I am self-employed?   Usually, yes!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies