Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

phozokan

How do I enter sales from a PTP if I received a K-1 and a 1099-B?

The response provided by the Expert to this particular question seems to conflict with the answer provided by another Expert to the similar question: "K-1 sales worksheet reconciliation with 1099-B for PTP sale" (see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/k-1-sales-worksheet-r... ). In that expert's response there's more detail, and the basic recommendation is to alter the data provided on the 1099-B from the broker.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I enter sales from a PTP if I received a K-1 and a 1099-B?

the 1099-B can never be correct because the broker never gets the info to track tax basis. read the cover letter and the supplemental sales schedule that accompanied the K-1.

to avoid doubling up on reporting only the ordinary income portion is reported in the k-1 sales schedule.  This flows only to form 4797 if there is 751/ordinary gain reported. Not every PTP has this type of income. Then you use the sales schedule to figure your tax basis to report in schedule D/8949. 

in my opinion the cost basis reported in the link is wrong. it should be 8231+ 4341 =12572

I use this as a shortcut method on schedule D/8949 because basis on the 1099-B is in the sections/types B and/or E meaning tax basis is not reported to the IRS.

admittedly the 8949 instructions say do it this way: report cost basis as $8231 (column E of 8949 from column 6 of sales schedule) and then if tax basis reported is wrong use code B enter $4341 as the adjustment (thus reported tax basis is the $12572 and the capital loss is $1936

put another way the total gain is the $10636 sales price from the 8949 column d less the tax basis $8231 from column 6 of the sales schedule for an overall gain of $2405. this has two components: ordinary income of 4341 and capital loss of 1936 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies