Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a stipend I received for exam item reviewing? $250 for my professional organization. No tax forms received, but I gave them a W-9 in order to be paid.

I put it as Self-employment income, but I'm not sure that's right, as TurboTax just said I qualified for a "Qualified Business Income Deduction" of $50 and I am not sure if that's right for that.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do I enter a stipend I received for exam item reviewing? $250 for my professional organization. No tax forms received, but I gave them a W-9 in order to be paid.

It sounds like the work you did is associated with your profession and you were compensated for services rendered, so it is possible the IRS would consider it self-employment income. As such you are subject to about a  $38 charge for self-employment tax, plus income taxes. You would be entitled to the qualified business income deduction (QBI) if it was self-employment income. 

However, if it is an uncommon thing you do, it could also be considered "other income" and not subject to the self-employment tax or the QBI deduction. If you make that determination, you can enter it as Other Income as follows:

1. From the Federal menu in TurboTax find Wages and Income 

2. Find Less Common Income

3. Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C

4. Choose Other Reportable Income

5. Enter a description of the income and the amount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It sounds like the work you did is associated with your profession and you were compensated for services rendered, so it is possible the IRS would consider it self-employment income. As such you are subject to about a  $38 charge for self-employment tax, plus income taxes. You would be entitled to the qualified business income deduction (QBI) if it was self-employment income. 

However, if it is an uncommon thing you do, it could also be considered "other income" and not subject to the self-employment tax or the QBI deduction. If you make that determination, you can enter it as Other Income as follows:

1. From the Federal menu in TurboTax find Wages and Income 

2. Find Less Common Income

3. Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C

4. Choose Other Reportable Income

5. Enter a description of the income and the amount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's not associated with my current profession, it's just a certification I hold and keep up, so I did do the "other income" option. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies