Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I determine taxable amount of a surrendered life Insurance policy with a loan?

I received a 1099-R for a distribution from a whole life insurance plan I surrendered.  Gross Distribution amount is entered in box 1. Box 2b - Taxable amount not determined -  is checked.  During the time the plan was in force, I made 9 annual premium payments. Balance of the premiums were paid internally resulting in an insurance loan against the cash value of the plan.  Gross distribution = the Cash Value of plan.  Actual distribution = Cash Value minus Loan amount. I calculated the taxable amount of the distribution as Cash Value minus the 9 annual premium payments made with after-tax dollars.  Is that correct, or does the internal premium payments and existence of the loan further complicate the calculation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

How do I determine taxable amount of a surrendered life Insurance policy with a loan?

It depends. Life insurance policies that are cashed out (surrendered) aren't taxable up to the amount of the premiums paid and other contributions. Earnings on the policy above and beyond the amount invested are taxable.

If you have determined the amount of premiums you actually paid to be the nine annual payments, then yes, that should be your correct basis in the policy and the excess is taxable.

You can also use this tool on the IRS website to help you calculate the taxable amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies