• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
89today

How do I delete non resident income from my OH return (i'm a non res.of OH). Turbo is including all the income from the fed return?

Don't want to pay OH tax on non resident income.

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

How do I delete non resident income from my OH return (i'm a non res.of OH). Turbo is including all the income from the fed return?

First of all, Ohio performs a convoluted tax calculation for non-residents/part-year residents. It starts with the Federal Adjusted Gross Income to calculate it's taxes.  Then it calculates a nonresident/part-year resident credit, which it subtracts from the tax which is calculated on the total income. The credit is calculated as your non-Ohio income divided by the total adjusted Income multiplied by the total tax.  In the program, TurboTax does this by allocating your income as either Ohio or non-Ohio in the state section.  Just make sure you go through the step-by-step onscreen instructions so that your income can be allocated correctly.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

W-2 income will be allocated by the state name abbreviation shown in box 15 of your W-2. TT will ask you, item by item, in the state section, how much of your other income is Ohio or non-Ohio income. Make sure that your non-Ohio wages show XX (Other state postal abbreviation)  in box 15 of your W-2 screen, with the XX amount in box 16.

If you live in a state that does not have an income tax, boxes 15-17 may be blank on your actual W-2. At the W-2 screen, in TT, enter your state's abbreviation  in box 15. Put the box 1 amount in box 16 and  0 in box 17.

This convoluted system allows Ohio to apply their highest tax rate, based on your total income, while only taxing your Ohio income.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v