Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I declare income my wife received as an aupair last year

Hi I married my wife last year in 2021. She was working as an aupair the entire year making ~10k .  She did not receive a w2 or 1099 form from her host family since she was below the threshold for that. Normally she would file a 1040NR and manually enter the income.  However we would like to file as married filing jointly using turbo tax how would I add that income? 1099-misc?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JillS56
Expert Alumni

Even though the host family did not provide a W-2,  you can still report the income in TurboTax as Other Taxable Income.

Go to Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income -> I'll choose what I work on -> scroll to the bottom and under Less Common Income select Start (or Update) for Miscellaneous Income

There are several types of other income categories there. If none of those shown fit the bill,  then pick Other Reportable Income and you can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

If your spouse has a Social Security Number, you can Efile as Married Filing Jointly.  If not, you will need to print and mail your return with Form W-7.

Here's more info on how to file your tax return with Form W-7.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JillS56
Expert Alumni

Even though the host family did not provide a W-2,  you can still report the income in TurboTax as Other Taxable Income.

Go to Federal Taxes -> Wages & Income -> I'll choose what I work on -> scroll to the bottom and under Less Common Income select Start (or Update) for Miscellaneous Income

There are several types of other income categories there. If none of those shown fit the bill,  then pick Other Reportable Income and you can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

If your spouse has a Social Security Number, you can Efile as Married Filing Jointly.  If not, you will need to print and mail your return with Form W-7.

Here's more info on how to file your tax return with Form W-7.

Thanks this worked best answer!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies