Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I completely delete my state tax return and restart? The imported information mistakenly made me a millionaire.

Thank you.

Paula23

How do I completely delete my state tax return and restart? The imported information mistakenly made me a millionaire.

Can you please tell me how you did it?  I am using the Mac CD software also and I'm going out of my mind trying to solve this stupid problem!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

To remove the state return, Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Remove state return.

Please let us know if we can further assist you. @Paula23 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much.  That worked.

Hello, 

I need to start my Virginia state return over because I didn't realize I needed to file a Maryland non-resident return first. I followed the instructions you gave for desktop version (which is what I have on a Mac) but I do not see the "Remove State Return" option. I see "remove Virginia data". Is that the same thing? Will that clear out the Virginia return and allow me to do the Maryland non-resident return first then start Virginia?

I don't want to have to pay for a Virginia return as it was included in the desktop version I bought (I am using Deluxe). I realize I will have to pay for the Maryland one, but I don't want to double pay for Virginia.

Also, do you know if it's possible to e-file the state returns and include the other state's return as an attachment just as is done with the federal return?

Thanks

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes, 'remove VA data' will remove the VA return data but will not delete the software from your PC to use later.   And yes, you can e-file state returns you prepare with the federal return as long as you e-file the federal return as well.   If you don't e-file the federal, you can't e-file the state return(s).   

You don't necessarily have to prepare the MD first.   You can leave the VA return as is and complete your nonresident MD return, and then go back through the VA state return and make sure you are credited for any tax paid to MD.   If you prepare the nonresident first, TurboTax does the credit, if applicable, automatically, but you can walk back through the state return before filing to ensure the credit gets applied without starting the return over.  Then e-file all 3 returns.  @Suchin21 

Thank you. 

just to clarify, am I able to e-file VA and attach the MD non resident return (in addition to the federal) and vice versa? Because both states need to see the others’ return and sending them all together is recommended. If I can’t efile them all, it’s recommended I mail them in. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You will need to mail them.   You can e-file them to their respective states, meaning the VA will go to the State of VA and the MD will go to the state of MD.   If you want to send MD to VA, you will need to print and mail the returns.   TurboTax won't attach other state returns to a state return.   Federal is transmitted to the IRS only, and the state returns only go (by themselves) to that state's Dept. Of Revenue.   TurboTax e-files what is required by state law and normally, one state does not need the other state's return.   @Suchin21 

Got it. Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies