Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I classify a wrapped crypto token?

TurboTax needs me to classify my wrapped Eth token, but I don't see anyone of the choices listed available for me to select.  Here are the choices:  Buy, income, interest, deposit, mining, airdrop, fork, stake, redeem, and reward.  How do I classify it?  Can someone please help me?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Wrapped Crypto is like any other crypto currency. If you did a swap, it is reported as a capital gain or loss. To report, go to;

1. Federal>wages and income 
  2. Go to investment come>stock, bonds, other
  3. Proceed through the interview until you get to a page that is entitled Tell us about this sale
  4. Under description type in Crypto Swap from Eth 1 to Eth 2
  5. Date sold will be the date of the swap and the relinquish the old token in exchange for the new wrapped crypto.
  6. Date acquired will be the date you received the old crypto
  7. Sale proceeds will be the value of the new wrapped crypto
  8. Cost basis is the value of the old crypto
  9. Holding period is determined by the dates sold vs the dates acquired.  If you own the old crypto longer than one year, then this is long -term.  If you are using Turbo Tax online, you would probably use long-term uncovered because more than likely, the basis wasn't reported to the IRS prior to now.

if this is located as other income, you need to remove this from your return.  If you reported it in a section, go to that section and remove it. Without looking at your return, it is difficult for me to tell you how to remove it.

Reach out to us if you need further assistance.

{Edited 03/02/23} 1:36 PM PST} @RGQ20

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Have you been given access to any IRS forms, income reports or downloads that report income / expense activity for 2022?  

If so, what was the nature of the activity?

@RGQ2021 

No, I didn't get a tax form because the wrapped token was a Coinbase Ethereum 2.  This is one of the items that I need to classify in TurboTax's crypto income section because it shows as "Other income", but it's not.  Here is why:  In order to stake in Eth 2, It was an even 1:1 swap from Eth 1.  Since there was no other option to classify this token, should I ignore it?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Wrapped Crypto is like any other crypto currency. If you did a swap, it is reported as a capital gain or loss. To report, go to;

1. Federal>wages and income 
  2. Go to investment come>stock, bonds, other
  3. Proceed through the interview until you get to a page that is entitled Tell us about this sale
  4. Under description type in Crypto Swap from Eth 1 to Eth 2
  5. Date sold will be the date of the swap and the relinquish the old token in exchange for the new wrapped crypto.
  6. Date acquired will be the date you received the old crypto
  7. Sale proceeds will be the value of the new wrapped crypto
  8. Cost basis is the value of the old crypto
  9. Holding period is determined by the dates sold vs the dates acquired.  If you own the old crypto longer than one year, then this is long -term.  If you are using Turbo Tax online, you would probably use long-term uncovered because more than likely, the basis wasn't reported to the IRS prior to now.

if this is located as other income, you need to remove this from your return.  If you reported it in a section, go to that section and remove it. Without looking at your return, it is difficult for me to tell you how to remove it.

Reach out to us if you need further assistance.

{Edited 03/02/23} 1:36 PM PST} @RGQ20

Unfortunately, swap is not one of the options for me to select under Edit transaction in the TurboxTax Deluxe edition.  Also, it won't let me ignore the transaction either.   Here are the 10 actions to select from the drop-down box:  Buy, income, interest, deposit, mining, airdrop, fork, stake, redeem, and reward. 

Thank you very much for helping me.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's not clear where you are seeing these options in TurboTax.  You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

TurboTax Online:

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

TurboTax CD/Download:

If you like, you can send a copy of your return that will be scrubbed to eliminate your personal data by using these steps:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return. 

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution. 

Some or maybe none of the TurboTax agents have the time to review all of my crypto transactions.  Perhaps, if I pay for them to do it for me.  My crypto transactions are in the thousands.  The problem is really that the crypto exchanges should provide us with prepared tax forms instead that we have to figure out the mess.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies