Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I calculate the value of my inventory for a small eBay reselling business?

My understanding of calculating inventory is as follows:

Inventory Value EOY 2023 = beginning of 2023 inventory value + purchases ( minus items I used personally ) + costs of labor ( not counting myself ) + materials + supplies

But what if some of the goods that were part of beginning of 2023 inventory value were sold in 2023 as well? Do I deduct those from my inventory calculation?

Do you subtract income from the goods sold in your inventory calculation? I'm confused on this.

Because if I take my previous years inventory value ( lets say its $10K ) and add it to my purchases / materials / supplies for this year ( let's say its $8k ) 

Then my inventory calculation is: $10K + $8K = $18K.. but IF some of those items that were part of the $10K in beginning of year inventory were SOLD in 2023, then that inventory value is false - because it makes it look like I have an inventory of $18K but indeed some of those goods were sold and reported as income..

I inputted my inventory calculation according to the formula above into turbo tax and my estimated Federal Taxes owed shot through the roof. I know I'm doing something wrong and I really need help. I don't want to get in trouble for falsifying inventory but I also don't want to grossly over pay in taxes because I can't figure out how to value my inventory correctly

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Please and thank you!! : )

-Jeff

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

How do I calculate the value of my inventory for a small eBay reselling business?

Your inventory for the beginning of 2023 should be the same as your ending inventory for 2022.  To calculate your 2023 ending inventory you start with your beginning inventory,

Beginning Inventory 

Add Cost of Purchases

Less Cost of Personal Use Items

Less Cost of Items Sold

Equals Ending Inventory

If you are an eBay reseller, you do not need to consider cost of labor, supplies, and materials for your Inventory purchases.  Those costs are added to inventory when you manufacture products.  Keep it simple.  Deduct those costs as expenses, if you have them.  If your actual ending inventory (if you count it) does not equal the calculation above, you either have an accounting error or inventory shrinkage.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies