Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I account for federal income tax refund on 1120

Hi - I am filing form 1120.   In 2020 I received federal income taxes I paid for 2019.   I know it is not taxable income.   But, how do I account for this refund on form1120 so everything ties in?   In QBD I have entered a refund for Federal Income Tax as an Expense account.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Andy

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for your help.  Somehow it nudged me to the right solution.  I just read in TurboTax's fine print "Note: for best results, we recommend you enter data on Schedule M-1 or on the worksheet, but not both. "   I deleted the worksheet and entered data directly on the schedules.   It's all fine now.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

federal tax refunds are not entered anywhere on a federal income tax return unless they're going to be distributed at some time on K-1s and C corps don't issue those.

Thank you for your reply.   This is not about distribution.  I am trying to do the Income Reconciliation, Retained Earnings, and Balance Sheet in TurboTax to file my 1120.    I had a $2000 Federal Income Tax refund on my 2019 form 1120.  I am trying to enter this refund as either -$2000 or +$2000 and neither works.   Entering it as -2000 fixes the Income Reconciliation, but messes up Retained Earning.  Entering it as +2000 does vice versa.

Thanks.

M-MTax
Level 10

If you're doing a balance sheet you need to put the cash back in so debit your cash account.

Thank you for your help.  Somehow it nudged me to the right solution.  I just read in TurboTax's fine print "Note: for best results, we recommend you enter data on Schedule M-1 or on the worksheet, but not both. "   I deleted the worksheet and entered data directly on the schedules.   It's all fine now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies