Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I have TurboTax let the IRS estimate my underpayment penalty and bill me later?

Couple of points... 

(1) I'm not asking how I can eliminate underpayment penalty.

(2) I'm not asking how to do that on paper form. 

In prior years, TurboTax used to give the user the option to have the IRS estimates the underpayment penalty and bill me later.

This year (2024 for 2023 taxes), I can't see this option any more. TurboTax insists on calculating this underpayment penalty itself and adding it to the taxes due. 

How can I have TurboTax let the IRS estimate my underpayment penalty and bill me later?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can go to the Other Tax Situations section and look for Additional Tax Payments in the list of menu items. Then choose the Underpayment Penalties option. On the screen that says Possible Penalty Exceptions, choose the Yes to All Questions option and the penalty on your return will be removed. The IRS will calculate your penalty based on the entries on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can go to the Other Tax Situations section and look for Additional Tax Payments in the list of menu items. Then choose the Underpayment Penalties option. On the screen that says Possible Penalty Exceptions, choose the Yes to All Questions option and the penalty on your return will be removed. The IRS will calculate your penalty based on the entries on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great. That worked. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies