Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I file last years taxes in addition to this years? It is coming up that I owe & I am thinking it has something to do with not filing last year? How do I fix it?

When I put in my info for this year it came back that I owe the IRS over 300 dollars. I do not even have a place to live because I can not afford it, I feel like there is no way I should owe , I live below the poverty level. My return was never filed last year , could that be why? I just do not understand how I would owe when I can barely survive as it is. I need to file last year and this years but my info from last year is not saved for some reason. What do I do if I do not have all the documents for last years filing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

How can I file last years taxes in addition to this years? It is coming up that I owe & I am thinking it has something to do with not filing last year? How do I fix it?

No, each return is calculated separately, so not filing last year's return won't change the results on this year's return. 

The most common reason to owe when you have a low income is having self-employment income (gig income) on a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC. 

If you started your 2022 tax return in TurboTax Online, but never filed it, it's automatically deleted after the October filing deadline. 

For today, just try to file your 2023 tax return on time, or get an extension. You can file an extension through your TurboTax account, or Easy Extension here. 

You can also prepare and file an extension from the IRS website. Follow this link to get started. 

To file your 2022 tax return, follow this link to get started. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies