Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change the status of filling for me and my spouse to married filling jointly for 2020, we filled single?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How can I change the status of filling for me and my spouse to married filling jointly for 2020, we filled single?

Were you married before the end of 2020? If not, you cannot file as married filing jointly for 2020.

If you do want to change your filing status, you have to file an amended return (Form 1040-X). You choose one of your single tax returns to amend. In the amended return change the filing status to married filing jointly, and add all of the other person's information and income. The other single return, that you do not amend, will simply be disregarded. You don't do anything with it.

If your amended return will result in an additional refund, you must file it by this Friday, May 17, in order to get the refund. If you file it after May 17 you will not get the refund.

See the following FAQ for instructions to amend a tax return that you filed with TurboTax.

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year?

You cannot e-file the amended return. It has to be printed, signed by both of you, and filed by mail. To get a refund it must be postmarked by May 17. It is currently taking 20 weeks or more for the IRS to process an amended return.

Amending a return to change the filing status can be complicated, and you have a tight deadline. You might want to go to a local tax professional for help.

if you were married on 12/31/2020, single was not a valid filing status for either of you (at best two married filing separately returns or if you lived apart for the last 6 months of the year and one maintained a household for a dependent for the last 6 months of the year that person could file as head of household while the other would use married filing separately).  to file jointly, assuming neither of you was not a US resident or citizen. then you need to select one of those returns for amending. Then you would need to enter the other spouse's info including income and deductions and change filing status to filing jointly. the other return does not need to be amended. The return must be filed by 5/17/2024 to claim any refund., it cannot be efiled. 

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year? (intuit.com)

if you used online you may need to purchase the desktop version for 2020 to amend. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies