Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How best to handle a revised 1099?

I received a revised 1099-DIV from my brokerage account. I have not yet filed my taxes, so no worries about filling amended returns. Their paper packet includes the full set - with 1099-INT and 1099-B (which did to change)

I assume if it works like in the past, I will be able to specifically download this revised document - I enter a package ID and Document ID to locate it.

But I have seen 2 answers, which is the best way to handle this? Should I delete the original import and re-import again, or should I just go ahead and import this document and it won't double-count anything?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I have not seen these answers, but I have to believe that it would be better to delete the original form before downloading the correct version. That way, it can't double-count, as you say.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @BillM223 for your quick reply!

I went ahead and copied my return to a test file and tried importing it without deleting anything. I tried this because I discovered I was wrong, and the package ID and Document ID were identical! I wrote down all the values of income categories, and then imported. The changes matched the summary page of changes I had on paper. I also verified there was only 1 1099-B, -DIV, and -INT in my TT file - so everything worked out fine, TT figured it out!

At least that worked in this case - where the package/document IDs let TT know it was a duplicate. I can see where if it has no way to know, it would import a second copy. Good to know!

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies