Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aswaps

Hi, My 2020 state tax calculation (maximum allowed percentage) is incorrect. I have received a notice to pay the balance as well as a penalty. How do i proceed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Mike9241
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Hi, My 2020 state tax calculation (maximum allowed percentage) is incorrect. I have received a notice to pay the balance as well as a penalty. How do i proceed?

if the notice shows details of the difference between what you filed and what the state says, you need to review them to make sure the state is correct. if the state is correct you need to pay by the due date. if it is incorrect you need to write back with the notice explaining the states error.  i

If you purchase Audit Defense, use them unless you want to handle this yourself. If you did not purchase Audit Defense you can still submit the items to them or use an outside professional but there will likely be a fee. 

The Audit Defense service is provided by TaxResources, Inc., also called TaxAudit.com, in partnership with TurboTax. If you paid for Audit Defense and you received a notice, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your notice on their website at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the tax agency until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact them on your behalf.

if it is a Turbotax calculation error see this website for submitting a claim. you still need to pay in full and then submit a claim against Turbotax for the penalties and any interest. Since you would have owed the taxes anyway, that is not covered by the accuracy guarantee.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/tax-return/submit-claim-tur... 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Mike9241
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

if the notice shows details of the difference between what you filed and what the state says, you need to review them to make sure the state is correct. if the state is correct you need to pay by the due date. if it is incorrect you need to write back with the notice explaining the states error.  i

If you purchase Audit Defense, use them unless you want to handle this yourself. If you did not purchase Audit Defense you can still submit the items to them or use an outside professional but there will likely be a fee. 

The Audit Defense service is provided by TaxResources, Inc., also called TaxAudit.com, in partnership with TurboTax. If you paid for Audit Defense and you received a notice, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your notice on their website at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the tax agency until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact them on your behalf.

if it is a Turbotax calculation error see this website for submitting a claim. you still need to pay in full and then submit a claim against Turbotax for the penalties and any interest. Since you would have owed the taxes anyway, that is not covered by the accuracy guarantee.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/tax-return/submit-claim-tur... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies