carliherbie

Hi! I made just over $600 with Uber this summer and only received a yearly summary. Will I get a 1099? Or how should I proceed with the yearly summary?

Vanessa

A company should issue independent contractors earning more than $600.  Uber generally does issue them along with a 1099-K, however, all of the information you need may be in the yearly summary.

Even if you do not get one you will still need to file a return if you earned more than $400 in self-employment income. Since you are self-employed, you should be tracking your income and expenses and can easily file your return using the information you have.  TurboTax has added a great feature this year for Uber and Lyft drivers.  

To enter your Uber  income 

1.      Click on Federal
  2.      Income & Expenses
  3.     Scroll Down to Self-Employment and click 
  4.     Click Start next to Income and Expenses
  5.     Answer YES to “Did you have any self-employment income or expenses”
  6.     When you Enter Uber or Lyft when it asks you to “Tell us the type of self-employment work you do” TurboTax will customize your interview and will make it easy to enter all of your information.

Vanessa

To enter your Uber  income 

1.      Click on Federal
  2.      Income & Expenses