turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

allodode1
Returning Member

Hi, I earned 26k and wife 50k. Plus secicial security benfits AGI IS 119,600, taxable income 93,150 after standard deduction. Joint return n still pays 7k in taxes. How to reduce taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, I earned 26k and wife 50k. Plus secicial security benfits AGI IS 119,600, taxable income 93,150 after standard deduction. Joint return n still pays 7k in taxes. How to reduce taxes?

Hello allodode1!

The best way to reduce taxes in your case is to look for any deductions ( will reduce your taxable income) or credits ( will reduce the tax owed) that you qualify for.  A big one is to take the itemized deduction as opposed to the standard deduction, if possible. Here is a link to possible deductions you may qualify for: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/standard-deductio... 

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
allodode1
Returning Member

Turbotax determined that I am better off with standard deductions, so what else can I do to reduce the tax. I do have several rental properties,

the operation expenses of which I have already deducted to the maximum. What else can I do?

Unfortunately, unless you actively involved in managing the property and perform over 750 hours of management service, any rental loss (passive) you incur on rental property is not tax deductible and deferred over time until you have passive rental income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies