Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi! I don't understand why TurboTax is trying to charge me $119 to file me as self-employed when I'm only trying to file a W2.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Hi! I don't understand why TurboTax is trying to charge me $119 to file me as self-employed when I'm only trying to file a W2.

Did you have any 1099-MISC income?  

It appears from your post that you are using the Online Self Employed edition.  In order to downgrade your product, you'll need to use the "Clear and Start Over" feature.  Keep in mind, however, that all your data entry will be deleted.

If you DID have 1099-MISC income of any kind, this may be why you have been upgraded to the Self Employed edition.  One other thing that sometimes happens is that a user was self-employed in the past, and no longer is.  TurboTax programs make the assumption that your income sources are the same unless and until you "tell" the program otherwise.

Here's the TurboTax FAQ that explains how to use the Clear and Start Over Feature.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies