Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sol223

Hi, I am a live-in provider for IHSS. I am tax exempt. Is this income still counted ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Hi, I am a live-in provider for IHSS. I am tax exempt. Is this income still counted ?

Q. I am a live-in provider for IHSS. I am tax exempt. Is this income still counted ?

A. Yes and No.  It is not subject to income tax, but it does count for the Earned Income Credit.

Because of this dual nature, it can be  a little tricky entering it, in TurboTax. 

The IRS has provided a place to deduct (line 8s of Schedule 1) the nontaxable income (but still allow you to claim the Earned Income credit based on that income)

Enter you W-2, as received, at the W-2 screen, in TurboTax. At the end of the W-2 screens, you will encounter a screen titled "Let's check for uncommon situations". Check the box at "Non taxable Medicare waiver payments that qualify as difficulty of care payments". On the next screen, indicate the amount (usually "all of it").

Even if you have no W-2, it can be entered in the other income section. The interview allows for medicare waiver identity.

TT support article: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/form-w-2/qualified-medicaid-waiver-payme...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies