Solved: Hi. How do I enter income I earned for one day as substitute? I don't have a W-2 or a 1099-MISC. I am not self-employed.

janeyq

Hi. How do I enter income I earned for one day as substitute? I don't have a W-2 or a 1099-MISC. I am not self-employed.

I worked one day as a church secretary substitute. I was paid by check. I do not have any forms associated with this pay. My husband is usually the only paid member of the family. We file jointly.

How/where do I enter the pay information?

DianeW

This income can be entered as miscellaneous income.  When you sign into your TurboTax account you can follow the steps below to enter your payment for one-time services when you are not in business and this is not regular w.  

• Select the "Federal" tab in the black navigation bar on the left
  • Select "Income & Expenses"
  • Select "Add more income" button if necessary
  • Scroll and click "See the list of all income
  • Scroll to "Less Common Income" and select "show more"
  • Select "Miscellaneous Income"
  • Scroll and select "Other Reportable Income"
  • Click "yes" then enter the description and amount

DianeW

• Select "Income & Expenses"
  • Select "Miscellaneous Income"

Hal_Al

If the amount was less than $433, you can treat it as self employment income and not be subject to social security and medicare tax (unless you [not your spouse] have other self employment). That way it will be classified as earned income for the Earned Income Credit or an IRA contribution.
If it is entered as "Other income", it will not be earned income, just taxable income
janeyq

Thanks.