Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi Community, My mother passed away on March 5th, 2024. Now that the probate process is over, I need to file her 2023 taxes. I don't know her Turbotax password. Help?

I have my own Turbotax account, can I file for her under that account? It automatically wants to fill in my information, though. I'd really like to file this electronically but do not understand how this is done without access to the deceased's account.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hi Community, My mother passed away on March 5th, 2024. Now that the probate process is over, I need to file her 2023 taxes. I don't know her Turbotax password. Help?

Sorry for your loss. for security purpose, I doubt that Turbotax will provide info to access her account.  you can't use your account because they are only good for 1 taxpayer. do a second return in the same account and the first return will be wiped out and unretrievable.

you can try customer support to see if they'll help but since you are using the free edition support isn't provided without upgrading or paying a fee

as executor you can request a copy of her last year's return from the IRS 

• Download and complete IRS Form 4506 (Request for Copy of Tax Return)
  • https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf 
  • Prove you are the executor by including a copy of your court-approved "Letters Testamentary", or if there have been no court proceedings, include IRS Form 56 (Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship)
  • Also include a death certificate, and the required IRS copying fee
  • Mail everything, and expect a response within "a few" weeks

Hi

Are you referring to Turbo Tax online tax preparation or are you using your desktop version of Turbo Tax?  If you are using the desktop version of Turbo Tax, you can prepare other tax returns as well as your own.  Was your monther's Turbo Tax online tax prep or was hers desktop.?  If hers was a desktop version, there will be a Turbo Tax file on her computer (or whatever computer she saved files on.)  When you open your desktop version of Turbo Tax, you can browse and select her file.  It will bring in 2022's return based on that 2022 file and start the 2023 prep.  Hope it helps and my condolences on the loss of your Mother.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You do not have to file your mother's tax return from the same account that she used. You could create a new TurboTax Online account and start her tax return from scratch in the new account. It will not be able to transfer any information from her 2022 tax return. You would have to enter all her information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies