Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help with "Non Covered Security" on 1099-B

I received a 1099-B for a RSU (restricted stock units) from my employer. Box 5 "Noncovered Security" is checked. When I look this up, it says that means it is not reported to the IRS. 

What does this mean in regards to if or how I file this 1099-B? I see nowhere to check this box was filing. Does this mean I should not file the 1099-B? I am getting so confused by this particular 1099-B and cannot get a straight answer. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You definitely need to report the transactions on the 1099-B.  "Noncovered Security" means the cost basis was not reported to the IRS.  The reason the cost basis is not reported to the IRS is because it is probably wrong, if there is one on your 1099-B.  RSUs are really pretty simple.  When they vest, the value on the date of vesting becomes ordinary income.  This ordinary income should be included in Box 1of your W-2.  Because you are taxed on that amount, that is also your cost basis.  When you enter your RSU transaction you should enter the value that was included in Box 1 of your W-2.  If you did not sell all of your shares/units upon vesting you will have to do a little math and determine the cost per share.  If your employer did not include the value of the RSUs in box 1 of your W-2, you will have to add it t your tax return as additional compensation income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

there are two types of non-covered securities. One where neither cost nor tax basis is reported to the IRS and the other where proceeds but not cost is reported.  the first type would be categoty/class C or F. the second would be category/class B or E. unsure? ask the issuer.

B & C are for short-term and E & F are for long-term 

in any event that 1099-B was sent to the IRS so you need to  report it on your tax return  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies