Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

57bd964715bb
Returning Member

Helloo, I’m a 17yr old using TurboTax for the first time. I recently tried doing my taxes & have gotten rejected twice. I was told via email that the information I had provided was mismatched/wrong regarding my name & social security. I double checked eve

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Helloo, I’m a 17yr old using TurboTax for the first time. I recently tried doing my taxes & have gotten rejected twice. I was told via email that the information I had provided was mismatched/wrong regarding my name & social security. I double checked eve

What specifically did the rejection email say was the reason for the rejection? If there was a rejection code, what was it?

One of the most frequent reasons for a 17 yr old to have their tax return rejected is that a parent already claimed them as a dependent and the 17 yr old did not check the box that they could be claimed by someone else when they filed their return. 

generally, first time filers must file on paper via US Mail

57bd964715bb
Returning Member

Apparently my social security & name were mismatched/wrong with the info the IRS has. I double checked everything & all was correct. I’m guessing it was mainly referring to my dependent/independent status which I did accidentally fill in incorrectly. I tried looking for ways on changing but didn’t find any. Do you by any chance know if it’s still possible to change status after submitting refund or do I have to call Irs?? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

some have posted that their first return was rejected because it was their first return. they say they had to mail it. 

before doing that use 0 for the prior year AGI and if you CAN be claimed as a dependent make sure that box is checked.  if this fails all you can do is file by mail.  use a method where you get proof of delivery.  expect a long delay if you are due a refund because the IRS is way behind in processing paper returns. 

You can't call the IRS to change the dependency claimed on a tax return that has already been filed. You would have to prepare, print and mail an amended return form 1040X to change it. If you meet the requirements to be claimed as a dependent by someone else, you must check the box that you can be claimed whether anyone else actually claims you or not. If you don't meet the requirements, you should not check the box that you can be claimed by someone. Here are the requirements from the viewpoint of someone who could claim you:

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster chld, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student, or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) unless disabled.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies